Hands

Hands

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Your Room


When your dad and I were thinking of how to decorate your room and what theme we wanted, I had already had a million ideas in my head from the last couple of years.  I knew what bedding I wanted before you were even created.  Your dad agreed with my ideas (he may not have had much of a choice anyways).  I always knew that I wanted beadboard on the bottom half of the walls and a pale yellow color on top.  It was perfect in my head.  I knew it would be perfect for all of the children that we would ever have.

We refused to do anything in your room until after our anatomy ultrasound to make sure everything was perfect and we had nothing to worry about.  It was only after that scan that we started to slowly gather everything for that room.  I spent months looking for the perfect furniture and furniture that would last.  I had a vision for each wall but couldn't really do anything with it until we knew how the furniture would fit in the room.  The biggest challenge in the room was the beadboard.  It was much harder to install than we originally anticipated but your dad and I spent so many weekends in there putting it up and painting it.  When it was completed and the walls were painted yellow, it officially became your room.  That's where we would spend so much time with you, rocking you to sleep, changing your diaper, putting you down for naps and waking you to take you to your grandparents or aunt's house when we went to work. 

Once the walls were done, it was time to move the furniture in and decorate.  I had picked out the perfect, gender neutral bedding from Pottery Barn Kids that was fun and definitely not tacky.  It looked great in your crib and we were excited to see you grow up in that room.  I found some art on Etsy that was made to go along with the PBK bedding I had picked out.  I spent hours in craft stores trying to find the perfect frames for that art.  Dark or White?  We finally decided on the white to keep the room bright.  When it came and your dad hung the art above the crib, it was amazing how much everything was starting to come together and it was real, we were really going to have a baby in less than 10 weeks.  I couldn't find any valances that I liked to match your bedding so I ordered swatches online and made the valance for your room.  I was actually surprised by how well that turned out.  I don't have the patience or the artistic ability to do that kind of stuff.  I wasn't sure what I wanted above your dresser but while browsing the internet, I found some mirrors in the shapes of lions that would go perfect with the bedding.  They were more than I wanted to spend on something that would be rarely used, but I couldn't pass them up.  Finally, we put some shelves up on the opposite wall and put a couple of the books on them that we received from our baby showers on them.  That's also where the video monitor was supposed to go so we could look in on you from time to time.  Your dad, being the tech geek that he is, researched video monitors for months before deciding to go with a regular security monitor instead of one of the baby video monitors that tend to get mixed reviews.  We never purchased it, though, because we wouldn't have to worry about it with you sleeping in our room for the first month or two. 

Your room was complete and ready for you.  The beadboard made it smell wonderful and new in there and it still does.  We shut your door when we came home from the hospital without you.  How could we look in our son's room who wasn't with us anymore?  That only lasted for a couple of days and there were more times after that where your dad would find me reading one of your books in your glider or I would find him playing with some of your toys or holding onto your clothes.  I love the fact that when we walk by the room now there's still the familiar smell of the wood.  Your dad and I had so much fun putting together your room.  We would always dance with you to Brett Eldredge and couldn't wait to do the same with you in our arms instead of my belly.  I hope you enjoyed that as much as we did. 

Your room is still your room and it will always be your room.  I feel you when we're in there and love to daydream about what we would doing in the room with you at your age.  I only hope that we can play with your younger brothers and sisters in that room for years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment